Monday, April 13, 2009

bunny cake.

I had it in my head that I should make a bunny cake for Easter. I found some ideas online and then I woke up on Saturday morning and started baking! I made two 9 inch round cakes using a box cake mix. After the cakes cooled, I cut them to make two layers from each cake. It was a little tricky to make an even cut across the length of the cake.

Meanwhile, I made raspberry filling using this recipe. I think I should have drained the raspberries so to compensate I added extra cornstarch.

After the raspberry filling had cooled in the refrigerator I spread it on the cake. Then, I cut one of the 9 inch cakes to make the bow tie and ears.

I used one container of whipped frosting plus one container of cool whip to cover the entire cake. A little bit of food coloring was added at the end to highlight the bunny ears.


Then I used jelly beans and licorice to make the bunny face and decorate the bow tie.

My family was desperate to start eating the cake on Saturday night. I wouldn't let them have a sample before Easter and they didn't like that too much. We enjoyed the cake with an ice cream cake from dairy queen on Sunday after our ham dinner.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yummmmmmm :)